Are you a love or romance addict?
Take this quiz to determine whether your sexual and romantic behaviors involve the components of tolerance, escalation, and negative consequences we associate with “addiction.”
- Have you ever tried to control how often you would see someone romantically?
- Do you ever get “high” from romance, fantasy or intrigue?
- Do you feel desperation or uneasiness when away from your lover or romantic partner?
- Do you believe that a romantic relationship will make your life bearable?
- Are you unable to stop seeing a specific person even though you know that person is destructive to you?
- Do you have difficulty being alone?
- Do you feel that life would have little or no meaning without a love relationship?
- Do you replace ended relationships immediately?
- Do you find that you have a pattern of repeating bad relationships?
- Does attention to your romantic relationships help you to cope with or escape from life’s problems?
- Do you find yourself flirting with someone even if you do not mean to?
- Do you ever find yourself in relationships you are unable to leave?
- Do you feel that you don’t want anyone to know about your romantic activities?
- Have you had sex with someone so that they will like you better or love you more?
- Do you make promises to yourself concerning your romantic behavior that you find you cannot follow?
- Do you believe that someone can “fix” you or “make it better”?
- Do you feel that you’re not “really alive” unless you are with your romantic partner?
- Have you ever threatened your financial stability, reputation, or standing in the community by pursuing a love relationship?
- Do you believe that the problems in your love life result from continuing to remain with the “wrong” person?
- Do you often feel an instant closeness and complete connection with people you just met?
- Do you need to fall in love in order to feel like a “real man” or a “real woman”?
- Are you unable to concentrate on other areas of your life because of romantic thoughts or feelings you are having about another person?
- Have you ever wished you could stop or control your romantic activities for a given period of time?
- Do you feel that your life is unmanageable because of your excessive relationship needs?
- Have you ever thought that there might be more you could do with your life if you were not so driven by romantic/relationship pursuits?
The Love Addiction Screening Tool (LAST) was created by Aaron Alan, LMFT, CSAT-S. The LAST is adapted from Pia Mellody, Patrick Carnes, and SLAAʼs “40 Questions for Self Diagnosis.”