I’m very excited that Dr. Omar Minwalla is coming to the Bay Area in September (9/24 – 9/27) to train sex addiction professionals how to work from the Sex Addiction-Induced Trauma Model. I believe this training will produce a shift in how I work with my clients. (Plus, I totally want to geek-out with my peers about finer points of skillful sex addiction treatment!)
My 10 Reasons to Learn the Sex Addiction-Induced (SAI) Trauma Model from Dr. Minwalla:
1. I had an extremely difficult partner case last year. My consultation with Dr. Minwalla produced a big shift in this client’s treatment and her resilience.
2. The SAI Trauma Model extends beyond “how to treat the partner.” I’d like to better understand how that all fits together clinically.
3. Dr. Minwalla’s work declared that partners’ reactions to discovery were symptoms of trauma. Why not learn directly from the man who pioneered this thinking?
4. Traditional sex-addiction treatment protocol sometimes bristles against my sensibilities and politics. I’d like to supplement my case conceptualization with other well-considered viewpoints.
5. I’ve got clinical blind spots and biases to address. It would be naive to believe I don’t.
6. I’m confidant Dr. Minwalla will be open to having respectful—and even challenging—exchanges with other clinicians regarding the SAI Trauma Model. (I consider Omar to be a friend, and we’ve had many “passionate” conversations about this material. I believe we’ve both benefitted from sincerely considering the other’s perspective.)
7. Thoughtful clinicians will struggle to reconcile contrasting perspectives, offer battle-lines experience, and integrate protocols and theories in a collaboration that may never happen quite the same way again. September’s inaugural professionals training is a unique opportunity to participate in our developing field.
8. I don’t think COSA is all bad. There, I’ve said it.
9. At $1200 for 4 days of training, I believe the price is right. I’m guessing subsequent SAI Trauma Model Trainings will be priced higher. (I don’t know, but I suspect.)
10. The Claremont Hotel Resort & Spa is a gorgeous hotel with sweeping bay views from the conference rooms! A lovely place to hang-out for 4 days.
If you’re a sex addiction clinician, I hope you’ll consider joining us for this 4-Day training September 24-27 in Oakland, CA. Click here to register, and read more about the curriculum and agenda for the SAI Trauma Model Foundational Training.